There is nothing quite as sumptuous as well prepared space cake, combining a love for good food and good weed. So here is how you make one. A space cake is as awesome as it sounds. Imagine your favourite cake, but infused with the unbridled and buzzing power of cannabis! Pretty much ever coffeeshop in Amsterdam will offer space cakes in one form or another, and they have become increasingly popular with those who want to reach that high, but in a discreet and tasty manner.
With this in mind, we have put together an out-of-this-world space cake recipe so that you can make your very own.
A space cake is as out-of-this-world as it sounds. Popularized by Amsterdam’s legal cannabis industry, a space cake essentially describes any kind of cake that has been infused with cannabis. While the options are truly endless in the space cake category, they most often resemble a dense slice of pound cake.
With a ton of butter in every inch, pound cake is the perfect vessel for fat-loving THC and it is incredibly simple to make at home. Read on for a recipe for the weed space cake of your dreams.
What is Space Cake?
The term “Space Cake” is slang for a cannabis edible cake. It refers to baking a cake and infusing it with activated cannabis ingredients. The infusion most commonly requires the use of cannabis butter, but cannabis oil and cannabis milk are also popular ingredients used to infuse the cake with.
The Effects of Edibles
This is a great alternative to smoking cannabis as this method will bring the desired effects of being “high” without the negative side effects of the common combustion methods used. Furthermore, this method won’t damage your lungs. Edibles usually take around 1 to 4 hours to take effect and can last up to 8 or more hours depending on the size of the dose the specific individual takes. If you want to learn more about the effects of edibles, click here to read the comprehensive article we wrote on the effects of cannabis edibles.
Space Cake Pro-Tips
Before we get into baking, let’s discuss a few pro-tips that will lead you to stellar success.
- Scrape down your bowl. After each step, be sure to scrape the sides so that all of the ingredients get evenly incorporated.
- Do not over-bake your space cake. If you leave your cake in the oven for too long, it will become a very dry cake and toughen the overall texture.
- Try space muffins instead of space cake. If you don’t have a 9×5 loaf pan or would simply rather have single-serving space muffins, this recipe makes mouthwatering muffins. Just be sure to butter and flour your muffin tins and then bake them for about 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean (a few moist crumbs is okay).
- Make it your own. This recipe is flavored with vanilla but you can easily swap in whichever flavors you like to make it your own. Try fresh lemon juice or maple syrup or even add in poppy seeds, shredded coconut, nuts, or really whatever your heart desires. This recipe is easily adaptable to your taste and preferences — so get high and get creative with it!
Space Cake Recipe
Ingredients: (makes about 12 slices)
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup softened unsalted butter/cannabutter (the amount/ratio is up to your desired dosage, just make sure to use 1 cup of butter total)
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350F. Butter and flour a 9×5 inch baking tin or spray with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder then set aside.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment or handheld mixer (even a fork will do in a pinch) and cream the butter and cannabutter. Add in the sugar and continue to mix until light and fluffy. Scrape the bowl down the sides of the bowl and beat a few more seconds.
- Add the eggs in one at a time and mix one at a time until fully combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as you go.
- Next, add the sour cream and vanilla, and mix well. Scrape that bowl down again.
- Add the flour mixture into your wet mixture and stir until combined. Scrape down the bowl one final time and make sure that any lingering butter has been fully incorporated.
- Transfer the batter into the 9×5 baking tin and smooth out the surface until it looks fairly even. Bake at 350F for about 40 minutes or until the center is set and a skewer comes out clean (a few moist crumbs are perfectly normal).
- Allow to cool in the tin for about 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely. This cake can be left on the counter for about 3 days if left in an airtight container. It can also be frozen to devour at a later date. Enjoy!
There you have it! Space cake perfection from the comfort of your home. This cake is great on its own, but feel free to go crazy and top it with frosting, a lemon glaze, or any other fixings. Let us know what you think in the comments below!
Lemon shining silver haze
Lemon Shining Silver Haze is a fine addition to any space cake. This potent strain gives off a scent of fresh lemon when smoked, a quality that enhances the taste of any delicacy with a citrus tinge. This sativa strain sets the mind into overdrive, opening the gates to creative ideas and increasing mood and focus. Eating a Lemon Haze space cake is a great idea before long periods of work and creative activity. Levels of THC range from 15–20% in this strain, with highs ranging from moderate to very intense. Within the first hour of polishing off a slice of Lemon Haze cake, the user will begin to experience the euphoric, uplifting, happy, and energetic high that the strain has to offer.
Lemon Haze is a fairly easy strain to grow and offers rewarding yields. She reaches a height of just under 200cm and features a flowering time of 7–9 weeks. Her flowers are truly stunning and feature a shiny layer of resin alongside bright orange calyxes.