A reader recently asked if I had a peanut butter cookies recipe. I could not believe I had never published one before.
In most cases I favor all-natural peanut butter, you know the kind that usually has a thick layer of oil on top and is made from just peanuts and salt. However, all-natural peanut butter does NOT make the best peanut butter cookies! They come out kind of grainy and dry (as I learned the hard way). So, for this recipe, I recommend something like Jif or Skippy. Either creamy or crunchy style will do, as to your preference for chunks or no chunks.
I use marijuana-infused butter to medicate this recipe. My How to Make Cannabis Butter tutorial will teach you how to make it.
Chilling the dough before baking helps keep the cookies from spreading out too much, although if you are impatient, you can skip this step, but expect thinner cookies.
HOW TO MAKE CANNABUTTER
It doesn’t get any easier than this—cannabutter in three easy steps. Our recipe below is a quick and easy way to infuse cannabinoids into butter.
Step 1: Decarb Your Cannabis
Many people skip this step since your buds will decarb in the butter. This is true. However, we suggest you decarb your cannabis before. The reason being is that if you don’t want your cookies (or any edible) to taste more like cannabis than cookies, you’ll want the buds to soak in the butter for the least amount of time possible.
Here’s how to decarb:
- Preheat: Set your oven to 245ºF.
- Place parchment paper on a non-stick baking sheet. Spread your buds over the sheet. Place in the oven.
- Decarb in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes. If you’re using older or drier bud, you may need less time.
- Gently shake the tray about every 10 minutes to mix the buds and equally expose them to the heat.
- Use a hand grinder to grind your buds coarsely.
Step 2: Melt the Butter
- Add equal parts (1 cup) water and butter to a saucepan. Make sure to use low heat! The water helps prevent scorching.
- Melt the butter, then add your coarsely ground buds.
- Simmer on low heat for about 45 minutes.
- Stir frequently!
There are different schools of thought here, but we suggest using unsalted butter. Unsalted butter preserves the volume when you separate the butter from the water.
Step 3: Strain the Butter
- Once the butter has cooled, strain it into a cheesecloth-lined jar or dish with a tight-fitting lid.
- Pro Tip: Don’t rush the process by squeezing the cheesecloth. This will only drive more of the less pleasant tasting parts into your butter.
That was easy, wasn’t it? Now you can use your cannabutter. If you’re not ready to use it, freeze or refrigerate it depending on when you plan on using it. You may want to freeze it (or at least clearly label it) so that no one mistakes your cannabutter for something else.
If you want to create more butter than this recipe provides, you can always scale up the ingredients. A pound of butter can easily absorb an ounce of cannabis.
Also, you can use this cannabutter for pretty much anything—including pasta, popcorn, brownies, etc.
Freezer Friendly Cannabis Peanut Butter Cookies
For hot medicated cookies anytime, freeze individual unbaked cookies on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet. Once frozen, transfer to a plastic freezer container or bag. Whenever you want a medicated treat, remove however many cookies you want at a time and bake according to recipe instructions, adding a minute or two to the baking time.
A note about the Dosing on this recipe!
This recipe will have about 25 mg THC per cookie IF you made your marijuana butter from average cannabis (10% THC) and used 1/2 ounce of marijuana to make 1 cup butter. To adjust the dosage for your personal needs and to reflect the strength of the marijuana you are cooking with and the amounts you used to make your butter, be sure to take my FREE 10 minute online Dosing Class that will teach you how to do it, or better yet, use my handy dosage calculator tools that do all the math for you (see below).
- 1/2 cup cannabis infused butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup peanut butter see note above
- 1 egg large
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Beat the butter with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the brown sugar and white sugar well.
- Lower mixer speed and beat in the peanut butter and the egg.
- Mix in the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for at least 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Use clean hands to shape the dough into 24 small balls. Place about 2 inches apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Flatten the cookies with a fork, pressing a crisscross pattern onto the surface.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until light brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 1 minute before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
1 thought on “Cannabis Cookies”
Without saying too much , great recipe. Followed it to a T and they were perfect. Nothing but great results from everyone.